Monday, March 30, 2009

Home

I went to the grocery store a couple of days ago. It was quiet, bright, peaceful, and kind of surreal.

Preface: my nine days of spring break were spent overseas in Asia. My last market experience was typical - all the senses are assaulted at once. Color and chaos is everywhere, smells and sights range from tropical fruit to animals being slaughtered to the satisfaction of the buyer, and a perpetual cacophony accompanies.

I miss it.

It is so different than home. And in a million ways, I'm so glad to be home. But for the first time in my life, I've recently entertained thoughts that "home" may be far from my beloved Texas.

I couldn't be happier with my home as it is right now. I'm not looking for a one-way ticket to Timbuktu or anywhere else. But my heart longs for Home, and deep down, I know my allegiance is first and foremost to that Place, to Him who makes it Home, and not to geography or ideals or people.

Meaning, I know I will have to be in whichever place He decides is most necessary for His glory and the good of all those who may one day call His presence "Home."

And as much as I would like it, His description of His Home doesn't look much like Texas. When I see it with His eyes, it is much more beautiful.

There was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people, and language, standing before the Throne and in front of the Lamb. Rev. 7:9


That. Is. Home.

I don't yet know how I'll get there, or what this home will be like until then. It could be a stone's throw from where I'm sitting now. It could be a couple hours away. Or it could be halfway across the world. I don't know.

And I don't need to know right now. He knows. God will reveal His plan in His time. As the Message translates Moses' words in Psalm 90:

God, it seems you've been our Home forever; long before the mountains were born, Long before you brought earth itself to birth, from "once upon a time" to "kingdom come"—you are God.

No comments: