Thursday, January 1, 2009

Reflecting

I'm not a fan of most New Year's celebrations.

Blame the inner introvert. Or the studious over-analyzer. Or the black-and-white prophetic practical side of me. Or a character flaw of your choosing.

It just seems like all the partying seems to miss the whole point - but I guess pop culture and I have differing philosophical/theological perspectives on every major holiday - Easter, Christmas - as well as those little fun guys - Saint Patrick's Day, Hallmark's Day, etc.

(Angry aside note: while walking through Walmart on December 29, yes, only a mere four days after Christmas, I noticed THREE AISLES were dedicated to Hallmark/Valentine's decorations and candy. What would we do without the eternal stream of materialism?)

To me, New Year's is a time to reflect and contemplate and worship. It's a time to consider what God has done and rejoice in what He will do. This past year had been really rough. And I know 2009 will be a time of change and transition, and I'm not sure I'm ready. But my God is faithful.

I've made detailed resolutions in the past, but I want to be more focused this year. It is simple, yet infinitely impossible. Four sentences sum up everything.

"The most important one," answered Jesus, "is this: 'Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.' The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these." Mark 12:29-31

May I strive for this every day of my life.

No comments: