Sunday, March 2, 2008

Resurrection

Birthdays are overrated. I know, because I recently had one. But beyond the superficiality, it's made me think. About life. About my accomplishments thus far. About my failures. About dreams and goals and plans. About my calling. About who I am. And about who God wants me to be.

This past year brought many changes. Some of them were great and beautiful. But I also saw my world come to a crashing halt as hopes and dreams died a cruel death-at the hands of organized religion.

My God is a God of resurrection. My hope is in Him, and He will accomplish His plans for my life.

But it's the getting there, the waiting, the silence, the uncertainty that brings so much pain. Yet it is in these things - because of them, not in spite of them- that growth occurs. New life begins to bud. Resurrection appears.


Water will gush forth in the wilderness and streams in the desert. The burning sand will become a pool, the thirsty ground bubbling springs. The desert and the parched land will be glad; the wilderness will rejoice and blossom. Like the crocus, it will burst into bloom; it will rejoice greatly and shout for joy.


My heart is parched and burning. I'm not there yet. I don't even know what "there" is. But I'm ready. I'm ready to surrender. I'm ready for God to take the brokenness and hurt. I'm ready to know His discipline. I'm ready to know the death and pain and darkness of the cross ...

...because I want to know new life. I want to know His glory. I want to know resurrection.

Wake up, O sleeper.
Rise from the dead,
and Christ will shine on you.

No comments: