Saturday, November 17, 2007

YHWH

There have been some things I have been debating recently, things I have been struggling with, questions with no answers at the present time. And, as I have waged this internal struggle (man against himself, as my English teacher would say), I've come to a few conclusions that are much less conclusive than I would prefer. However, I know them to be true.

1. I don't currently, nor will I ever, know all the answers or will I cease to be surprised by life.
2. God is infinite, eternal, and unchanging in His being, wisdom, power, holiness, justice, goodness, and truth; and all these attributes reflect His glory.
3. Ultimately, my problems boil down to this: Do I trust God?

All of above are extremely obvious, I know. By no means does it take special revelation (in addition to what God has already provided) to come to these conclusions. I've been aware of the truth of these statements seemingly forever. But I forget, or I find I never actually moved these from my head to my heart in the first place.

Earlier in the week, I was talking to my mom about this. In my systematic theology class, we've been studying Christology. As part of looking at what Jesus said concerning Himself, we looked at his ultimate "I AM" statement ('Before Abraham was, I am.") and the Seven "I Am..." statements with subjective complements (I am the vine, I am the shepherd, etc). We talked about the power of Him boldly declaring "I AM YHWH!" with each statement. This, then, gives us two options: we spit in His face and declare that there is no god, or we fall on our faces and worship.

This isn't a new concept to me. I've heard it in previous Bible classes, including the ones my mom has taught. I've heard it at church and at home. I probably learned it by osmosis in the womb. It is one of the most foundational beliefs of Christianity.

Yet I felt like I truly got it for the first time this past week.

I mentioned other things to my mom that I had previously understood with my head but was completely confused about in my heart. Now, some of these things are finally starting to click. I said something along the lines of that I felt it was ridiculous that some concepts had taken me so long to truly grasp. Her comment was "'line upon line, precept upon precept' is how we grow. We don't get everything the first time; that's why the Holy Spirit is always with us, teaching us, helping us."

Sanctification is a long process. But God IS. He is everything we need. He is eternally faithful to the covenants He has made. And sometimes, all we can do is rest in this knowledge.

"I AM YHWH! There is no other."
So I will fall on my face and worship.

No comments: